Monday, March 13, 2006

Look, look!



My amaryllis has sprouted some more leaves (they were probably there before but I turned the plant round!)

I had a great weekend with C and B (apart from rather too much dog talk). You see when all the blogsters discussed the merits or otherwise of dog ownership on Tat's blog, noone mentioned the risk of becoming a DOG BORE! I plan to have my revenge soon. When (and indeed if) we ever become a house owner again we intend to get ourselves two dogs (one after the other I'm told is best - you see I nearly became one then!). By which time they will be bored of talking about their dogs but I won't!

Actually, it was wonderful to catch up with them and their children after six months. The kids are all growing up, the oldest B's is 15 next month! We've been meeting up on a regular basis like this since she was a tiny tot and before mine and c's youngests were born. But we have been friends since primary school, did sixth form together, B and I moved up to London and lived together for a bit in London (until I found a flat share), a few years later I spent a year in Brighton with B (whilst she was training to be a midwife) - one of the best year's of my life in fact! All the while, C was popping in and out of our lives - she was married already but her hubby was away for long periods (RAF then) so we have all partied together over the years!

However, we did remark that now we are just past the 40 marks we no longer have the stamina or drinking ability we once had. At about half past midnight, as we were talking C dropped off in her chair before our very eyes! There was nothing we could do to rouse her to go to bed so we left her there and carried on chatting. One hour later she woke and up and joined in the conversation as if she'd never been asleep - power napping at it's best.

Her pilot husband is about to go part time as he's just had enough of jetting around the world - he keeps telling me that having an eight day stopover in Cuba or Goa gets REALLY BORING after years of doing it!! (I seem to remember him taking his guitar, and doing the Telegraph hard crossword to do with his co-pilot as they were flying over the oceans of the world! -hold that image next time you fly long haul - I won't tell you which airline it is). They have a dream of living in France and have bought an enormous ex-presbytery near Tats which they are gradually doing up until the final move when the kids are in Uni (only eight years to go!).

Well, today might be interesting......might hear whether I got on the course or not. Might get our offer accepted on the house I saw last week and hubby saw on Saturday.

Hubby has gone to Edinburgh today until Wednesday. As I write he is getting on the plane! I wonder if the pilot is planning on doing the Sudoku? (Only one hour to Edinburgh from Stanstead so would have to be the 'gentle' one!)

10 Comments:

Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Sounds like a great weekend (except for the boring dog bit).
Hope you get good news re: the course and your house offer.
Have you managed to remember the name of the woman who was in Birds of a Feather?

8:26 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Hi GOW, it's the one that ISN'T Pauline Quirke!! Actually, you don't look like her....it was just the first quick impression.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Is this talk of Doctor who (Boof) it's like dog talk to me (boof) saying that I shall watch it as it's quite funny (boof)and DT is quite a dish..

11:57 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Glad you're weekend was fun :-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Sue just came in to see why I was laughing. She thinks I'm mad. Suduko indeed. I never liked flying, now I know why.

Sounds like a good weekend. I hope you get good news about the course and the louse.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Hope you hear good news today! I'm sure you will.xxx

3:11 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Nigella is tops, she is quite deserving of her domestic goddess title. Her Christmas morning muffins are legendary in this house ;-)

Yes GOW is MY mum. Can't you see the likeness? She is the most un-grumpy person I have ever met in my life so her title is very tongue-in-cheek!

Have you heard about your house yet or job (or have I missed something)?

6:54 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Primary school friends - thats pretty impressive. (esp. at our age. hahaha)
The best I can do is early secondary-school friends.

And I'd like the chance to get bored in Cuba or Goa.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I remember you talking to me about your friends pilot husband and geese before, helped me with my fear of flying. Now not so sure, nice to know my pilot's attention is fully on the controls NOT.... What if he presses the ejector button by mistake and I'm ejected from my seat or something, never flying again as long as I live, well until the next time at least...

7:49 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Well, Tat, just to make it worse. C's hubby was there on the Friday night of my weekend actually (he made us a chili then made himself scarce - what a man). But, he had to fly to Alicante the next morning. He was out and back by the time we had just got dressed on the saturday! He said he was knackered. I said 'did you fly fatigued?' and he said 'all pilots are knackered because of the silly hours they do'. (so does that make you feel any better? Knackered pilots?)

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home