Monday, March 06, 2006

oh crap!

hello, it's eeyore here. Feeling a little despondent about my interview. I am just too blaze for words. I think I should have prepared more (how many times have I said that in life?)

Most of it went well. I had to 'interview' four children about their thoughts on school uniforms while being observed. That was fine. (I think). Then I had to do a 'critical appreciation of a poem' which was also fine (I enjoyed it, in fact). It was just the interview. Most of the stuff was OK but then he asked me what aspect of educational research interested me and that I had been reading about recently. Well, I had to admit that I hadn't been reading anything about it - doh! But sort of flannelled my way about talking about Academies and secondary school changes. Probably clear to him that I didn't know that much. He also asked me about the last book I had read. I was able to talk about it but he asked really deep GCSE questions about what I liked about it. Heck, I read for pleasure, not analysis!!! He asked me what book I'd really LOVE to teach and why! Double bloody hell! Didn't see that one coming! I said Othello, because I love Othello and really enjoyed helping the teacher teach it in my last job. I harped on about the themes being universal and all that, but he said, it wasn't a Citizenship lesson I was teaching, tell me about the iambic pentameter. Shit again!!!! I was OK on questions like 'what would you do if a child was being disruptive in the class' that was OK. Other questions like 'what can be done with a Smart Board' which was also OK. I don't know.....

By the way there are twenty interviewees chasing four places! I thought there would be loads of us and I would have the advantage because of my experience, but the other two interviewees I saw were both 'mature' women who both worked in schools as teaching assistants. One of them had been a journalist. I'm not a negative person, but I don't think I'm going to get it. The sad thing is I think I'll make a good teacher but whether they saw any of that is another matter.

Ho hum, will hear next week. Fingers crossed.

It was nice being in a school again and sitting in a staff room. Funny, all female teachers seem to shop at the same place! Same place as me, probably! I like the way teachers dress! Slightly quirky, not too officy and interesting jewellery.

Well, made an offer on this house

Those of you who know me will be thinking 'but that's the same house as she moved from, fancy upping sticks and leaving for the country and ending up in a house exactly the same as the one she moved from' . Well, we were never that fussy, we loved our old house except for the fact we were a terrace, this one is end of terrace and you can get down the side to the back. The other one had a tiny front garden and no offstreet parking. This one has a larger front garden AND off street parking. The old one had a narrow hall which annoyed us. This one has a slightly wider hall which won't annoy us as much. This one also has a south facing garden - which is a BIG plus. It also has four bedrooms, a downstairs shower room, utility room as well as two reception rooms and kitchen. The only thing worrying hubby is where to put the bikes - eternal question. But there really is not much on the market and this house is affordable and in a prime, sought after location right next to the park. Well, the offer is in, let's wait and see.

8 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

Not crap at all. You were fine. You're just being all female and concentrating on all the less good bits and forgetting all the bits where you blew their minds. Do people blew minds? I think I've got muddled with noses again.

House looks nice. Better go, someone at the door. No time to read this back so hope it makes sense.

4:24 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

yes, i'm sure you were fine, you're bright and articulate - and they're prob. just as interested in how you interact with people etc. - thats harder to learn than the more technical academic stuff.

house looks good... keep us informed!

4:54 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and I hope that they realized all your lovely potential.

And the house looks wonderful, you did have a great house before and this will be great as well

7:48 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Oh it will be fine Luce I'm sure as Le chat said you blew them away or their minds. You worry pot you. Loving that house, good luck, I agree with Lettuce...

7:58 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Sounds like you did just fine at the interview .... how long will you have to wait before you know?

The house looks fab - hope you get it.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I'm sure it will all be fine. I like that house. Have you got any pics of inside? Let us know what happens. I'd have you in my school! At least some of the questions came up.

11:08 AM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Hi Luce. I bet you did well. I wanted to leave you a good luck message yesterday but computer (or blogger) said no. I hope you get the house. I love the look of it. Reminds me of Tat's old house and I loved that, nice proportions.

Thanks for your wishes and I am fully recovered now and am just trying to catch up with left over jobs from last week!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

13, 13, 13, 13 (sing in football supporters voice) as apposed to 4!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home