Thursday, March 02, 2006

ipswich audit

Hi Blog!

Yesterday I had a tennis lesson. I would like to tell you that my tennis coach is a young, muscular, virile and gorgeous man who just oozes testosterone. I'd also like to tell you that the sexual chemistry in the lesson is electric! But I can't because I'm afraid he isn't any of these!!! Just as well really as I have to concentrate SO hard to get it right, if he was good looking to boot it would be a complete waste of money. He'd booked us an outside court instead of an inside one (what luxury inside courts), and although it was freezing yesterday, it was lovely and sunny. It was great to be outside. I feel very lucky, that through this freezing, bloody winter (that I have complained vociferously about) I have still managed to get out and about on my bike, or walking, or tennis. Once you are out and warmed up, it's just lovely to be in the fresh air.

I was thinking yesterday that as I had started this blog to write about my move from London to Ipswich, I thought I would do a quick audit. Well, at this moment in time, even in the depths of winter I feel we've definitely done the right thing. The girls, even though they have bad days at school, particularly H, who has had a bit of a rocky time finding friends she feels comfortable with, enjoy their school. They both love the countryside here, and I noticed particularly with H who was quite nervy in London when we were out and about, has noticeably relaxed (well to the point of having been out to town with her friends on quite a number of occasions). She has a residential trip coming up. She goes away for a week to an outward bound centre in Norfolk, on the coast. We had a meeting about it yesterday. It seems that they spend nearly every waking hour, either orienteering, rockpooling, doing assault courses, and generally being outside! On the down side I have to go to shopping to buy her about ten track suit bottoms, eighteen fleeces and three pairs of trainers! (she goes in three weeks - they are expecting cold weather but by then it could be warm!). Anyway, that's her. She gets her letter soon about which secondary school she has been allocated. If it's the one we want her to get into (which it should be given the fact we live in the catchment) then we will be even happier about this move.

As for youngest, A. Well, she's just slotted in naturally. She's got good friends who come and play and she loves her teacher. Great!

As for Hubby, he loves it too. He has to commute on a train for over an hour every day, but he has his book and his ipod and time to think! He's a natural early riser and full of energy so it suits him. When he goes out on his bike at the weekend he comes back stimulated and full of chat about the beauty of the countryside. He never went out in London - a: there was nowhere to ride at speed and b: getting the bike on the car to drive to the country was too much faff.

So, finally, me. Well, it was hard to start with as I am a real people person and miss my friends. But the geographical difference hasn't made a difference to any of my friendships which is great. I loved living in London because I enjoy all things 'cultural' (sniff). However, I've been down to London a couple of times to do 'cultural' things and have more things planned (two Tate private views coming up, and the National Gallery with Lettuce this month).

And, (bad grammar, I know) finally, I just love the countryside. It's so good for the soul. When I am riding my bike through the country lanes (and bearing in mind this is winter, when the buds on the hedgerows start budding it will be stunning). I've made some really nice friends. I have a social life. There are great pubs round here too, lots of rivers, lakes and places to do family things too. All in all, I love it!

Audit over.

Here is today's 'memorial of the moment'. Just the one today but I think you will agree it was worth it!

9 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

yes, definately one for Trac I'd have thought! hahaha

I'm so glad that you're settled and happy in Ipswich - after all that faffing about it was clearly the right thing to do!

I miss you lots, but love coming to stay and am v. happy for you.

9:04 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

btw., how is the amaryllis watch?

9:10 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

oh yes, I think I might make that weekly thing!

9:31 AM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

It sounds like you all made the right move. I also feel glad that I live in the countryside. The scenery is delicious and it feels so good for the soul. I miss the shops, friends and culture but I know where those things are and can go visit when necessary.

BTW are you still selling your fabrics? I expect there are some nice charity shops down your way.

10:30 AM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

yes, it sounds like all round, it has been a very good decision. sometimes you just have to take the leap; it usually works out the way its supposed to...

1:25 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

You definitely did the right thing. I wish I had taken the leap a few years back and got out of the city. Still, Greenwich Park is glorious today and the squirrels climbed into my hand to take the peanuts. We all miss you but you don't feel far away at all.
love you loadsxxx

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I came upon it by accident and I think it's great. Love the memorials.

Do you look at other blogs? You might enjoy these others that I read from time to time (they take a rambling approach too!!!):

http://www.emmakennedy.net/blog/
http://utakohl.blogspot.com/
http://ttennison.blogspot.com/

1:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

yeah i'm digging those graves! doesn't sound right does it!! Dido hahaha bet Trac wet herself over that one... Shame tennis instructor is not dishy still you wouldn't be watching the ball, or would you??? i have an amaryliss, good word that, I'm sure it sounds rude..

4:46 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Just gloating today, my weather pixie says 16C yours says 4C hehehe even your french one is just creeping in at 6C!!!! tehehehe

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home