Sunday, February 19, 2006

weird and wonderful

We all went to the allotment, en famille today. I just had to stand back in amazement as hubby more or less rotavated the whole plot by hand!!! What is he like - he has SO much energy it's incredible. He got up today and took himself out for a 20 mile bike ride, came home, tidied up and then we went down to the allotment. Allotment people are very friendly, as everyone up here seems to be. A man came up with a chicken (live) under his arm for the girls to stroke! (just hope it hasn't got flu) . There was a man in the allotment next door but one who told me he'd just taken on the plot as he'd had a heart attack and had a quadruple bypass and he needed to get some exercise! I just worried he was going to peg out any moment! Note to self; get CPR lessons!

After the kids just got too cold (snow on the way) we drove off to look at our 'new' house! (bet we won't get it). One of the best things about it is that it has a pub in walking distance. The pub looks great, olde world blah blah, but we walked in to find we were the only ones there and now I can tell you why - the landlady!!! What a fruitcake! She wouldn't leave us alone. First thing she did was take the girls into the other bar to show them her tame rabbit! I thought she'd abducted them! Hubby ordered a pint of 'Directors' but all the beers on tap had been drained off so he had to have lager. I got the worst gin and tonic ever (in fact wasn't sure there was any gin in it) and the crisps the girls had were past their eat by date. I think she was an alchoholic actually. However, the good news is that she's off on the 3rd March (got the sack). She said she'd split up with her fiance recently and things have just gone down hill. She was about 60, and between talking to us she danced manicly to country music, miming the song to the girls!
I did feel sorry for her, but she was utterly batty.

Well, lets hope the next landlord and landlady manage to order some good beer and crisps in!!
Hubby says it's a bad sign that the pub was so bad, but I think it's a good sign that it's changing hands - ever the optimist!

Anyway, the good news is that after two pints, hubby agreed we should make an offer tomorrow for the house at the asking price! Result!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Sounds like a jolly good day to me :-) what a batty woman though, hopefully the pub will become fab, I miss pubs although I stopped going in them, much, well maybe next week...

5:46 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

blimus Luce, 2 blogs in one day!! The pub sounds great, lol. Hope you get the house, but sorry I'll never meet the mad publican.

6:28 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

I think it's a great shame she's going. What fab blogging material she is, hehehe

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home