Monday, June 19, 2006

Hope Springs!

I've been feeling rather low today. All because of this stupid house business. I put the offer in to the agent who all but laughed in my face. I don't really mind, I wasn't IN LOVE with the house anyway.

I haven't been so low that I can't do anything - I've bottled my elderflower champagne, washed the sheets and the covers on the sofa. Bought some new oil paints for my painting (which isn't going so well actually, am having a re-think) AND a quick visit to TKMaxx to look for the ULTIMATE slouchy handbag (No joy). However, I did come away with some new bathroom scales, a bath mat and some new sunglasses!

I picked the girls up with resolve in my heart - to finish leafletting my desired road. When we all got in (about ten minutes ago) I checked the messages on the phone. Lo and behold there was one from a Mrs Arbuthnot who lives on one of our favourite roads and is thinking of selling. (someone at tennis had given me the tip off about Mrs Arburthnot - she has a PR company which she runs from home and needs a bigger house). I know exactly where she lives! It's a lovely house. And I'm sure we will be able to afford it as it is next to the one we nearly bought and then changed our minds about ages ago. Every time we go past the SOLD sign on the one next to it, Holly says 'we should have bought that one'. I had no idea at the time that houses come up on this road very infrequently and we thought we would be able to pick and choose. This house is quite big - five bedrooms and a cellar. We changed our minds at the time because we thought the kitchen was too narrow and the garden wasn't as big as I would have hoped. But, I now know that we have to compromise somewhere along the line. And if we can get a private sale, all the better! Cheaper for them, cheaper for us and two fingers up at the agents! I left a message back with Mrs Arbuthnot's colleague and am awaiting her call!

10 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

Yes, that would be cool. Also cool to buy off a Mrs Arbuthnot. I'd love to do that. What a super name.

I think I might change my name.

Perhaps if I became Kitty Arbuthnot I might turn into a nicer person and not shout at everybody all the time. It's a nice soft sounding name rather than my harsh angry sounding one.

6:44 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

keep us posted on the house developments...it does sound promising

7:33 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Penelope Arbuthnot called me back ! (Yes, a great name). We are going to view her house next Tuesday at 6.30pm. (A whole week to wait!!!)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Penelope Arbuthnot. Oh Wow. That just can't be a real name.

A whole week to wait. Oh God! I don't think I can cope.

I think more friendly and friendlier are both right aren't they? RW should know, she's a native speaker. Mind you, aren't you supposed to be too, Wendz?

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, whether you use more or the the suffix -ly depends on the amount of syllables in the word. With two syllable words it can be interchangeable depending on the word, and what sounds better. Therefore, I would say both are correct

11:13 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh thank you English teacher. I never knew that was the rule. I shall apply it henceforth.

Yeah, Wendz I know what it's like. My French can be really crap. A boy asked me the other day what the French word for turnip was. My mind went blank and the only thing I could think was that it was turnipe so I told him that. I was sitting at my desk later and it came to me what it really was and I felt really bad about giving him this fake French word. I'm sure if I'd seen a turnip the word would have been there in my head but when someone asks me or I think about it too much, the words just disappear.

12:43 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

So what is turnip in French? And why on earth did he want to know that? Hope they aren't going to call you turnip head miss.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poo Tit Bum!

2:47 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

I do hope this is THE ONE. Penelope Arbuthnot sounds like a good omen :-)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Ooh, this is a veritable feast of comments, it truly is. I hope that you get to look round this house. And amazing that you leafletted and found somewhere else.

I hope you are feeling ok. Something will turn up soonxx I'm sure..

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home