Wednesday, October 11, 2006

HELP ME I'M MELTING!!!!!

Help me everyone. I need advice and I need it QUICK. (PTB BLOGGER ISN'T UPLOADING PHOTOS)

Last night in our desperation to be in a house by Christmas we revisited a house that we'd seen about six months ago. We decided to make an offer on it because

a) it was in the right area, on a lovely friendly road of semi detached Victorian houses in a prime location near the park, walking distance to both schools. The reception rooms are of a reasonable size but the whole house needs updating - the bathrooms are a bit manky, you know ordinary family bathrooms but even so, they need updating. It has five bedrooms and three bathrooms. It is near the top of our budget but not quite. They did not accept our offer but came back with a counter offer that we are considering.

The down side of it is that is had the tiniest of kitchens (see picture),the most hideous conservatory and really not much garden to speak of (once Alice has her trampoline in it!). I was willing to put up with this though.





However, something has just happened. The agent has just told me that the BIG and LOVELY house with the COACH house (see pictures) has only a few hours ago come back on the market!!!!!!!!!! Now, I don't know what to do! The BIG and LOVELY house is near town but on a busy road, one could walk to the park and to the schools but it would be quite a walk (about 1.5 miles). Since we lost that house Andy has been kicking himself he didn't offer more and now it's back on I'm in a total quandary. I made the mistake of phoning a friend - Nicola. Who clearly wants me to live near her (the other house is on the same road as hers) but quite apart from that she argues that I like living around people in a neighbourly area which I wouldn't have in the other house (well I might but it's different).

Please don't tell me to draw up the pro's and con's - my rational self says to go for the semi detached smaller house in the right area but my heart says "I want a walled garden, a 30ft kitchen and coach house, even if it does mean driving the kids to school (heck I've done that for a year already and they won't be so near their friends (but still pretty near, heck this is Ipswich not London)

I'm going to take a vote - voting closes at 4pm tomorrow. Please leave your vote and I think you don't need to put your reasons because in my heart of hearts I think I prefer the BIG and LOVELY house over the SEMI in the RIGHT area even though that one might be BETTER. That's why I can't decide.


VOTE NOW:

23 Comments:

Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

Go with your gut. You have to LIVE there for the forseeable future - choose the one you really really want. It's going to be your home...your nest and escape from the world...make sure its your little (or big) haven. Just seize it Luce.

8:27 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

yes, i'm with Geena on this one - go for the one you really want!

remember what you said to me about the "right area" in Ipswich?? you'll surely see just as much of Nic without living next door? and there might just possibly be "nice" people who DONT live in the "right area! (imagine!!)

and 1.5 miles isn't so far as all that.

I wish you could post pics. so we could see which houses these are. Its not the one with the chapel which I saw with you is it?

go for the one you love!


xxxx

9:32 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Yes, Sweetie, go with your heart ...

~(:o})=

9:47 PM  
Blogger Trac said...

Just about to say that.... follow your heart...

Stay true to yourself whenever possible!
xx

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for the best you can afford within your budget. The bigger house sounds good if you can afford it, the semi may be better value for money only you can tell. Trust your instinct and go for it. You have to live in whatever you buy feeling at home is important.

Bear in mind increased regular outgoings if buying bigger house, make sure you can handle that, if you can you'd be daft to pass it up.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

home is such an important place. it is your sacred space. it sounds like you already love the walled garden etc. you would regret it perhaps when you are in your stingey little kitchen cooking tiny pumpkins grown under the trampoline, or when washing your pumpkins in the minging bathroom, would you not? it is always best to follow your heart.

oh, and by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! hey you know that that means, on your birthday, you get to do everything that YOU want to.........like buying the house you actually want to live in.

some of the tokyo pics are up

have a smashin' day!

12:39 AM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE!!!!!

My (rather pathetic) card to you has been posted on my blog.

Hope you have a wonderful day .....

~(:o})=

8:20 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

YOu know really what it is best to do. When I am unsure I do draw lots because when the "wrong" option comes up the sense of disappointment is so overpowering I know it be a mistake and choose the other. And if the "right" one comes up the relief is similarly overpowering.

Funny way to run a school and a life but it works for me!!

Decisions like that are tough though. Good luck.

I thought your birthday was tomorrow?? Shit, haven't written your story yet. But I will
xxxx

10:51 AM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Oh, is it tomorrow??????
Molly told us it's today ......
~(:o])=

11:06 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Happy, happy Birthday Lucexxxxx

12:02 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Off to a meeting now..can't stop!Love you loads and loadsxxx

12:02 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

sorry i got the day wrong! have fun all the same! i think i do have a full frontal of the doll, including the front botty if you really want to peek? the will be some more tokyo pics , i just didnt want to put them all on at once. thanks for stopping by. have fun on your real birthday. maybe get you a drink somewhere??
x

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe,
I'm late on the scene (as usual!) How fantastic - you have 2 very real possibilities that could result in 'a result' - run with them both to see how far you can go.
1.5 miles will help keep you all fit and right/wrong area is just a q of school proximity - right?
Think next 10/12 years - you'll be there for that long at least! Which one will grow with you in the way you dream of?
Happy Birthday TODAY - maybe the 13th is lucky for those who are born on it! lol xxx
(open the box /take the money????)-
that's not helpful is it.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My advice... don't listen to us.... listen to yourself and immediate family... you WILL make the right choice. Good luck !
PS 1.5 km, not that far is it really! Bikes are good!

1:15 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

BIG LOVELY HOUSE, BIG LOVELY HOUSE, BIG LOVELY HOUSE. Go put in an offer now!!!!!!!!!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Ooops, sorry, my mistake. I'm really stooopid. I've rectumfied my mistake. Oh well, nothing beats a few days of birthday celebrations anyways. Sorry! Sorry! Silly dizzy Mollyxxxx

5:59 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

go with your dream house, isn't that why you wanted to make the big move? and keep us posted!

And Happy Birthday for tomorrow!!!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

BIG LOVELY HOUSE, BIG LOVELY HOUSE, BIG LOVELY HOUSE. Go put in an offer now!!!!!!!!! now now now..

9:15 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Happy birthday Lucy.... I hope you have a fab day today my heart and all your wishes come true....

6:32 AM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Well, it's Friday the 13th now so ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCE!!!!!!!

Hope you have a lovely day Sweetie.
Fingers crossed that you get the house that you want. xxxx
~(:o})=

8:35 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day.
xxxx

8:40 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Happy Birthday on the right day today!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Trac said...

Happy Birthday RW!!!
love Txx

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home