Monday, May 15, 2006

INSTANT ALLOTMENT

I went to the allotment today, well not so much an allotment more of an overgrown weedbed. While I was digging away, a woman approached me and asked if I'd like some strawberry plants, 'yes please' I said, 'I'll have anything'. She was giving up her allotment due to pressures of work but didn't want the neighbouring allotment holders to have her stuff as they'd been horrid to her about her plot getting overgrown. So, she came over with boxes of wonderful strawberry plants, a large artichoke plant, and about ten raspberry plants. Result? Instant allotment!

****************************************************************************

I was thinking today about my eating habits. A good friend of mine said my habits were so fussy I was like an old man! (not Graham I hope!). But I don't mind. Here is a list of food that I have become majorly fussy about;

- marmalade - at the moment I am only eating Bonne Maman Orange Ameres
- coffee - only ever in the morning unless I am in a Starbucks type place.
- bread - never white sliced. Breakfast toast has to be high quality wholemeal with bits of stuff
in such as sunflower seeds.
- biscuits - never ever the cheap processed ones any more. In fact I rarely eat biscuits at all
these days. Unless I am in France and then I eat the Petit Ecolier with my afternoon tea.
- lager - never at home, sometimes in the pub
- crisps - I nearly never buy crisps now, unless we are going on a long car journey and then we get them from the garage. However, if you put a bowl of crisps in front of me, I will eat them (all).
- chocolate - if I ever buy a chocolate bar it will be a Snickers. But this is rare. I buy a bar of Green and Blacks 70% cocoa ever week to nibble on at home.
- fizzy drinks never tempt me these days - maybe an 'ice cold coke on the back of my throat' on a very hot day.

Funny how age makes you a fussy old thing.

20 Comments:

Blogger The fabric of my life said...

All good fussy stuff tho RW. You seem to be giving up junk food :-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

crisps or chips as i call them are my downfall...i like them too much!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Hahaha good friend eh? Not if you get anymore like Graham, RW, my dear. I can cope with you fussing over how many bits there are in your marmalade but not if you get anymore old manlike - beards and unwashed socks spring to mind.

10:50 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

well apart from tonic of course...as long as it tastes like gin

11:04 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

ever tried Gin and Russian? pretty good. (I'll get some in for the weekend :o) )

Can't wait to see your allotment, sounds great. Its wonderful growing your own raspberries, i love them.

11:14 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Lettuce, such is my fussiness that I can't drink gin with anything but tonic, sorry. (sad face). Don't try to give me Russian...if it was that good everyone would be drinking it! (haha)

11:29 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

and it CAN'T, did you hear CAN'T EVER EVER BE DIET TONIC. LOTS OF ICE AND A SLICE OF LEMON

11:31 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

You shouldn't even be thinking of gin, let alone mentioning it or drinking it.

It's neat tonic water for you, my girl.

Got a headache, so I'm going to bed.

Speak to you tomorrow
xx

11:43 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Great news about the plants.

Yes, I agree with Dons that your "fussiness" is just good healthy eating - well done you :o}

8:33 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

In fact, I need to add that to my list of no - no's - diet stuff...have you ever had a low fat yoghurt, pah pah and double pah. You can just taste the starch that they've bulked it up with so that it has texture, the same with cheap icecream....ewww. Has to be top quality icecream if I eat it (which is very rarely indeed these days...)

Moowalker? Please don't worry, you're food is ALWAYS delicious. I remember every meal you have ever given me... roasted peppers with anchovie and tomato in your flat in Clapham, do you remember?
And Delia's vegetarian moussaka! Divine. (and your homemade apple crumble)

2:30 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

sorry about the grammatical errors in the above comment.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Rambler, looks like you're going quite drastic!
Although, I'm really into the stuff you've giving up!
A good apple! Yes!
Coke just for cleaning my cutlery.

I thought Russchian went out in the 80's??

5:18 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I took some photos of my melons today, i got them out and Guy got his courgette out in the patch too!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Dear me, melons and courgettes. Not a marrow then?

Yes, it is Bertha now. I had to change the names. It was really hard. Hope you don't mind but I called my Deputy Head from Newcastle "Andy", couldn't think of any other name at all that would be in the least suitable. Hope it doesn't confuse you, I'm trying not to mention him actually so hopefully it won't.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh I see. I didn't know about the TV programme. Was Bertha in it too then? Strange coincidence. Perhaps I have seen it or something? I don't remember it.

You wrote your comment on the banana entry.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

When I worked with RW she was always eating something nutritional, usually at about 10.40am. She, like me, was always chomping through her lunch at breaktime! We would just look at each other and say, 'Starving' and that would be it, munch...

This will make you laugh...the new TA was caught in the bookcupboard today, reading her own book, hiding in the corner. She quickly hid the book and then...a few moments later, was caught again! Ha ha ha!

The standards have slipped since you've been gone, I can tell you!

Bonne Maman - blimmin' lovely that is.

10:13 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

hahahha betty. Fancy that, reading her own book in the cupboard!!! hahahhaha

why didn't she just read Heat magazine in full view like we all did!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

I think you two had better come along to my office to write some lines

I will not eat before lunchtime
I will not eat before lunchtime
I will not heat before lunchtime

Heat magazine in the classroom. Well!

10:37 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

No le Chat! Never in the classroom - in the English office! As if!!!! We were conscientiousness personified!

10:50 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

come on Luce, this is old news

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home