Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Rabbit, Rabbit

This is what I saw when I opened my curtains last week. These darn critters are ruining my lawn! Good job it's not my lawn then, isn't it?




Well, I have hauled myself up by the bootstraps out of a slough of despondency to write this blog. Might as well get the depressing news out of the way; I didn't get on the PGCE course. I decided not to take it as a personal failure as they wrote me a lovely letter saying I was on the waiting list and there were 12 people going for four places. Even so, can't help feeling down. It just means I have to think of something else. I've looked online at other PGCE courses but they are all full for 2006 and even if I got on one it would mean either travelling UP to Norwich or DOWN to Colchester which would be fine but it's an added stress when you have kids. The application forms are so darn long winded as well. I can't remember what year I did my O'level English, and all other things I have done over the years. Blah blah bloody blah. Don't sound too positive do I? Hubby, upset me further by saying the letter they sent was generic and don't set any store by it. (In other words 'you were shit'). I'm constantly having to tell myself 'of course you are brilliant, you've achieved so much in your life' and then I think 'I'm forty one and I have NO career, HE earns all the money, what the f**k am I going to do?). I'm having a little cry now as I write this, didn't know I was that down about it. Maybe I should go back and wallow in my slough of despondency!

Hubby thinks I really should concentrate on my art. Sometimes, I just don't know what's stopping me. I think it's so hard to get motivated to paint especially when one doesn't have 'a room of one's own'. (or indeed a 'house' of one's own!). But maybe it's deeper than that! (fear of failure? lack of confidence?)

The owners of the house we made an offer on finally came back to us last night as we were looking around another house that we liked more!! However, the house we liked more is a wreck and much more expensive! But, it made us think that the 'house we made an offer on' is not exactly what we want - the garden is too small and the back bit of the house is also too small. So we're going to withdraw our offer today! Hubby says 'nyah nyah nyah' to the vendor and estate agent for being so TARDY! He says I should say something to that effect when I ring up - but we have to deal with this estate agent and it's not a good idea for them to think you're 'arsy' (oooh this Tourettes is really taking hold now)

Here's a picture of the house we saw yesterday and quite frankly fell in love with despite the fact is nearly falling down! It belonged to an old person who is 'no longer with us'. You should have seen the amount of books. One whole bookshelf for penguin paperpacks - looked like first editions!

There was a walk in larder and the wall paper looked like something the V&A would be interested in!

Discussing it last night:

Hubby: We can't afford it. It's too much
Me: I'll shop at Morrisons and Lidl!
Hubby: You know you won't
Me: I will, I will

Guess, who won? Moi! We made an offer today but it was a low one. All we could afford. If it's meant to be it's meant to be! (whoever said that was a twat, it's a load of crap (feck))


Well, you know, I've had a little cry writing this (well, quite a big blub actually). Please don't write back nice encouraging comments because I will just cry further. I'm OK, really. I'm a very positive person but we all have blips now and again. And to add to all my lachrymosity (sp?) or lachrymoseness (!) or even moroseness, oldest has gone away with the school for week and I can't go in her room because it makes me miss her too much!

And on a brighter note....... If you happened to venture out in the cold on Saturday and wondered where all the middle class, middle aged women were they were with me and Lettuce at the Country Living Show in London. Where a good time was had by all!

22 Comments:

Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Yes, I suggest gin and lemonades all round. I'll join you! Cheers Love!

12:01 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Lucy , firstly let me say glad you're back, missed you. That is a fabuloso house. What potential. You won't need a career sweetie you'll be too busy doing it up! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one ;-)

I'm sooooooo jealous about the CL Spring Fair. I go every year to the Xmas Fair with my friend Amanda but we didn't go this year, too busy. We went to the spring fair once and loved it as I didn't feel guilty buying myself things (as it wasn't Xmas you see).

Keep your chin up, you are an extremely talented and lovely lady. I have been at home for 15 years with my brood. I just keep reinventing my 'career' to fit in with them! Enjoy your time off as I'm sure something will come to you soon.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Dear Rambling,
You know I'll write you the best ref ever! I hope you are ok. Just think about the squidgy, juicy virtual chocolate brownie that I'm sending you right now. Oh GOD, I've got about 42 - what am I going to do with them?

That house looks great. Lots of character and potential. You could have a room of your own there, definitely.

Everybody loves you. The new Heat is out today and Jennifer is moaning AGAIN - go and get it and enjoy. Look at Torso of the Week and have a glass of wine and your virtual brownie.

Take care. Bettina Bettyxxx

12:19 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Thank you Betty. Yum delish brownies!

I just made my own houmous and ate nearly a whole crown of celery to go with it! Why does homemade houmous never taste the same as shop bought? Don't say I'm being healthy - it had half a pint of extra virgin olive oil in it!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Fools! Bloody fools, those PGCE people. It's actually really hard to pick the right people at interview but they certainly cocked up this time.

As for the career thing, the grass is always greener. Families are most important.
As for hubby - he wants a good kick in the bollocks!
As for the house - love it. And doing up a house is such fun.
As for the bunnies - rabbit pie is very nice.
But hey, you can't shop at Morrisons. They don't even have an apostrophe, let alone any edible products.

Enjoy your houmus and chocolate brownies.

12:37 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Well they are all right, you know?

Canvas and a bottle. Tick.

Gin and tonic.Tick.

Fantastic house!!! Tick. I so hope you get it. I think this was the house in my dream.

Brownies - tick - make yourself some real ones too.

Bloody fools - tick, absolutely. But they'd have sent you the generic No Hope Letter rather than the generic Try Again letter if they thought you were shit.

Kick in the bollocks - exactly. He's talking through them from a position of total f***ing ignorance. (sorry, Tourettes)

Its hard sorting out your life/taking a different direction as/when the kids grow up. Lots of our students are in that situation. It takes time sometimes. BUT - relax and enjoy life while you're doing it. Work and money are so absolutely not the most important thing.

1:44 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

And a good old cry when necessary does you good :o}

2:32 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

yes, it is the best house everisn't it? Not only is it falling down (no central heating, wiring is in serious need of redoing, and some seriously 'itchy' decor. But a really lovely house. Sadly, I bet everyone thinks the same! We still haven't heard from estate agents re our offer. Phoned th eother agent to withdraw our offer. He put phone down on me!!!!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Now Lucy, remember what Guys mum says everytime and I mean everytime your name is mentioned, "that Lucy, she's soooo clever", said in Audrey style voice please. If Audrey thinks that then she means it, the cow has never once called me clever :-(
I know you well so I know your clever, artistic, a good swimmer, bike rider, coffee sharer, blue water sharer, fab cook, great mummy french speaker and en plus when I was carrying Lily you were my rock!so a cracking good friend, you'll will feel better soon :-) By the way, beg, steal and lie in order to get that house, do anything, sell your soul because it's fab.....
ps...remember our book club meetings where we never once talked about the book? Remember all those shit book suggestions of Cas's? ans what was her job, remind me, I was thinking of Sharon today for some reason.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

En plus, look at my grammer, console yourself that you have at least one certified dum friend, moi :-)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

ps and now I'm really going have to cook, but is that our sal in the coat?

6:14 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I hope you get the house. It does look super.

Don't worry about the teaching. There will be plenty more opportunities to get into that if you really want to.

41 isn't very old, you know.

6:42 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

thank you everyone for being so lovely to me....

You know being depressed had a pay off today. I painted! See the painting on my website. Shall I call it 'Slough of despondency?'


Oh yes, Tat, Cas is a judge!

6:49 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

can you apply again next year? and keep up with your art? and ofcourse all your other chores and interests? It does suck, but you know, you'll be wonderful at whatever you decide to do...and you have all these lovely friends telling you so!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read a nasty article on BBC online about some undercover investigation on estate agents...sounds scary....I hope you get the house...but stick to your offer - don't let them bully you into paying more...but it IS a lovely house..

and paint...paint...paint...

*sending a smile* (oops - is that too nice?)

7:00 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

How can I look on your website, Luce? :o}

8:23 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Thank you for sharing your work, Luce. It is amazing - I love it.

(As you can see from the comments page there, I had already viewed your work but, when I went today, I saw that the top item was under a February date, so then I thought you must have uploaded a pic somewhere else. Silly me.)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Goodness me! Look at all the comments today. Shows how much you are loved. :))))

I cleared up the sick and got the Calpol out. That stuff is the best thing ever. Whoever invented it deserves an OBE.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

PS - I'm just 'lapin' up the pictures of the rabbits. Did you see what I did there?

8:14 AM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

I was thinking about you all day yesterday. One thing I noticed whenever I have been to the CL Fair is that most of the companies there are run by women and are very much a home-grown affair. They are women of our age, with families running their own businesses. I think you just need to believe in yourself Lucy. Your paintings are fantastic. Hope you have a better day :-)

8:37 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Blimus, 23 comments.

Ha ha, 24 now.

Love you.

10:01 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

love the new painting.

Maybe being miserable is good for your art!
Not really....

(25 comments now. Hee hee)

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home