Friday, April 21, 2006

Hola come va? (Havana here we come, or Havana came to me!)

Last night we went out! I had the best night! We went to see the Buena Vista Social Club. (Not the film, the real band!). If you've never seen them I urge you to go (if you like Latin American music). The musicians were muy fabulosa! Some of them were ancient. The double bass player had to be helped on and off the stage he was so frail. But the musicianship was completely astounding. They had trombones, trumpets, flutes, clarinets as well as the usual stuff (bongos, piano, guitar, organ,). The pianist was this really cool young black guy in a long frock coat and a black pork pie hat. He could play piano so fantastically, he got a standing ovation at the end. (Can you tell how much I enjoyed it?). I was particularly heartened to see this big venue in Ipswich (which I am still prejudiced about it not being London) full of people who were having a good time. And I sat behind the bass player from Jools Holland's big band who was in the audience. Ask me how I recognised him? I didn't, but Nicola did (who came too, with her teenage sons and some of their friends). He lives up the road. Bet if John Peel were still alive I would have seen him too as he lived near Ipswich. (I'm very impressionable).

*********************************************************************************

Well, got a busy weekend ahead. I'm cooking dinner tonight for my sister and her husband (by way of a thank you for doing our guinea pigs!). As an antidote for all the heavy creamy stuff I had in France I'm going to go Eastern fusion tonight (!). Beef, chili stir fry, tofu satay and something else I'll think of later with coconut in!

***********************************************************************************

Tomorrow we're off to London (again). It's the marathon on Sunday. When we lived in London the marathon went past the end of our road. It was an annual spectacle not to be missed. Our friend Mick is running his first marathon (for the Ron Pickering charity) so we are coming down to see him. (He's a sports journalist and will be miked up at various points to give his opinion on the proceedings - so you might see him on telly - but probably just hear him on BBC London). The Saturday night we will be staying with our friends 'The Wests' and on the Sunday we will be going to Lettuce's for lunch. Then to Mick's (and family) for four o'clock to crack open the champagne in celebration (let's hope) of his success.

18 Comments:

Blogger ramblingwoman said...

how's the planning going? Had rental agencies round to your house yet? Get a wiggle on girl!

9:56 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

oops meant to put that on your blog!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Perhaps we should all run the marathon next year, dressed in silly costumes to represent our blogger names - mine would be easy, and I guess Trac could dress as Elvis. What would you wear though? Hiking boots? Lettuce would look good wouldn't she!!

Have fun anyway.

I love Latin American music. It just makes me want to dance. Was there dancing?

Ruth is pub quiz queen. She can answer almost any trivia question you chuck at her. What's that got to do with anything everyone else will probably wonder but you know what I'm going on about!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Pork pie hats? Pork pie? Hats? In Ipswich? The dirty bastards!

11:58 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

So glad you're having such a good time in ipswich, new best friends and all
( {;o( )

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday - if we can find you amidst all those runners!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

She has her uses that's for sure. Yes, she is a teacher. You're pretty sharp, actually RW because I'm not sure I have ever said that as such. She teaches Yr 3/4 at the moment in one of our feeder primary schools. But last year she taught the nursery class and they were so sweet.

Yes, I can imagine you and Lettuce would be pretty good at pub quizzes. I'm not. So many of the questions relate to childhood tv programmes or English trivia that I just have no idea about. That;s one of the reasons we go to the White Horse on Thursdays cos there is a quiz and it sort of gets people in the right frame of mind for silly conversations.

Why do I always write such long comments on your blog? Is this rambling contagious?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

That evening sounded toe tapping hand jiving fab ;-)
Your coming evening sounds yummy.
Your planned weekend sounds brilliant, have fun with S&M&S

12:44 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Clearly there's a cure though Trac, 'cos that comment was short!

(No time to lose, no time to lose)(Said Trac in White Rabbit voice)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

I need that cure!

If you do ever decide to go to Verbier let me know because I do own somewhere in Verbier (with my brother) and whilst we rent it out most of the time it is sometimes free. And we leave ski stuff there too.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh yes, and I meant to say (good way to avoid a long comment - do two instead) my brother broke his femur two years ago and he still skis fine.

Get Andy to do lessons before you go with no commitment to going and I'm sure he'll love it and be good at it too.

Men are usually really good or really bad at it in my experience (at ski-ing that is!!)

4:14 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Le Chat you are brilliant. A place in Verbier! But we would, absolument et sans doute et bien sur pay rent for such!!!!

Interesting about men and skiing. I think Andy will be good.....he's good at all sports. (not fair). Although he sees a chiropractor regularly for his short hamstrings! (among his other aches and pains - the price you pay for being an athlete in your youth!)

We would seriously be interested in your flat/house in Verbier actually Le Chat. And would give me a real incentive to a) get really fit b) learn to ski instead of talk about it and c) work on getting my bottom to a size that won't scare the children when it's in ski gear! By the way, how many does it sleep?

5:48 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

hate to say it RW, but your blogs looking all funny thro' internet explorer - not through safari or firefox.
(mine is too, think Tat is right, I am melting.....)

Strange.....

6:39 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh you don't have to pay. I am short of lots of things but not dosh.

The chalet is big. It sleeps us lot - three proper bedrooms, plus the attic which the children love to sleep in. Plus good ski stuff. My racing skis are there and I race with long skis so Andy can use them if he wishes. But useful things like goggles and gloves and poles. Christophe (my brother) is a keen cook so the kitchen is very swish.

Big bottoms are quite good for ski-ing. Good cushioning when you fall.

Ski-ing is all about confidence and not being afraid of speed (heights aren't an issue really unless you want to do jumping), so Andy will be fine. Snoasis has been agreed I think.

Go to the dry slope in Ipswich though. If you can ski on dry slope you'll find snow a doddle.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Oh ma puce (imagine the next bit with hats and accents) je ne suis pas fachee avec toi et e suis sure que tu parles bein francais, je t'embrasse.....

10:52 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

that's bien btw!!!

10:53 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

My brother loves the Buena Vista social Club. I've only listened to them - never seen them live.

Wow, what a huge experience for Mike - I have great admiration for people who do the marathon - something I know I will never do - thank goodness!
~(:o})=

11:27 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

I think I probably would like Andy. I can talk bike quite well actually although Ruth is not as fanatical as that - no strange machines in the garage (no room for them really).

When we teach children to ski we tell them to practice with dusters on their feet on the kitchen floor. Andy could try that!!!

I get all sentimental about the Swiss Alps too. I grew up in Montreux (there's a Freddie Mercury statue there which you just must go and see!!) but I only go back rarely - one weekend for the Jazz festival and occasionally to see my brother.

Off to a swimming gala today. What joy!

Then I want to go dancing this evening (you inspired me). We'll see. Depends how jaded I feel after the gala

10:39 AM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

I'm a bit late (as per usual) but I hope you have a fab weekend. Give Lettuce a big hug from me, she needs it :-)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home