Monday, March 27, 2006

A bit of Wood, a bit of Wind!

My weekend has had woodwind at either end of it!

I shall begin. On Friday, with my friend N, (so annoying these initials, let's call her Nic - for that is her name!). We were going to go to a giant plant and shrub sale and we did. But first Nic had chores to do. Firstly, she had to take two saxophones to a man who mends saxophones (among other things). This might sound boring but it wasn't! We drove out into the wilds and stopped outside a fally downy cottage. We stepped inside to find a fally downy kitchen, all beams and oak floors. But lo and behold the back bit of the cottage had been removed and fantastic high ceilinged oak framed extension had been built, overlooking this man's fantastic garden! There he sat at his table surrounded by sick and broken woodwind instruments. He said we could wait while he fixed the sax so we did. He plied us with expresso coffee and mixed nuts and raisins and we sat for a lovely hour talking about how much we hated estate agents and solicitors, discussing vegetable growing and his teenage son's love affairs. What a fantastic man! I came away thinking what a lovely man and how lucky I am to have a glimpse into people's lives who I probably wouldn't otherwise have come across.

The next 'chore' (if you can call it that) was to take the dog for a walk. Nic took me (and the dog) to Alton Water, a giant boating/wildlife reservoir nearby. It was fantastic. Quiet, peaceful and teeming with bird life. And to top it all, the sun came out!

I was feeling so happy that I gushed to Nic 'I'm so happy I met you'. And instead of getting embarrassed she said 'I'm so happy I met you too! - aaaaahhhhh.

Then we had lunch at her house and on to the plant show. Which was as you would expect, full of plants. (I bought quite a lot)

Today, oldest (who's back) had to go to the Secondary school she will be attending in September for a music day. (Woodwind and percussion). She plays the piano but today was put on bongo's, tambourine and all manner of other stuff. There was a concert for the parents at 4pm. Here's a tip: If you ever want to stop yourself crying, press your lips together really hard. It kind of works..... Just listening to all those children making wonderful music just swells your heart and your eyes well up! It was fabulous. They played with older kids too. When they played Here, There and Everywhere, I had to really press my lips together, hard.

9 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

Ahhhh, that piece made me feel all warm inside. It went so well with your blog background colours too.

My brother plays the sax and whenever I hear the sax I think of him and go all soppy. I'll remember to press my lips together next time. Mightn't I look as if I have wind rather than am listening to it though?

Renee plays the piano too. Or Forte as we call it here!

6:29 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Oh thats so nice Luce! I'm pressing my lips together hard too.

I'm so happy for you your move has worked out so well and you have good friends. So long as you NEVER EVER lose your internet connection.

Its been pretty windy round our way too.
I think that falafel is still affecting me.

6:53 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Oh, wow! What a lovely description of your experiences - much heart swelling all round.
~(:o})=

8:39 PM  
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i have wind, it's just not comin' outta an instrument...

10:24 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

What a lovely weekend. I'm glad you have met someone nice to hang out with. I have tried pressing lips together and have found that if you try too hard not to cry at school concerts (or similar) you are in danger of a large snot bubble coming out of your nose which is not a good look!!!!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Yes, remember that, pressing lips too tightly together can result in snt bursting out..... Don't even do the press lip thing when you want to say something soppy to your new friend! She might not be your friend for much longer! But what a lovely day, Im glad you've struck gold with a friend la-bas..(need a french keyboard)...
a plus ma puce

6:08 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I would do anything to get my piano back. I love music.

5:55 PM  
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Oh hahahaha ..... just visualising the snot experience!
~(:o})=

8:06 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

I had such a wonderful, wonderful time. The food was excellent - if I'd known about your vicarious eating I would have taken photos for you - goats cheese to start and then this saffron rice with lobster thing which was truly superb. I even had some chocolate thing for pudding (Chocolat Marquis or something?). The view was a little disappointing, the glass is frosted and it was raining anyway. But it was lovely to have some time to ourselves.

Then we went for a drink at a Spanish place and Tuesday is salsa night so we stayed for hours and hours dancing!! Brilliant,brilliant fun.

So we didn't get back till nearly 3am and I have to confess I did not check blogger.

Very happy Kitty today.

No doubt I'll fall asleep at about 4pm today (I'm supposing to be meeting someone re budget forecast review then so let's hope not!!) and my insulin regime is completely screwed up but what the heck as they say up here!!

A Perfect Day.

Are you meeting Jeff for lunch again today? If so I can recommend a very good little salsa bar!!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home