Monday, April 24, 2006

What a Marathon Weekend (Snicker) ((Groan))

Well, on Sunday morning (only with a slight headache) did we make our way to the top of the road to await the marathon runners and in particular Mick! It was Andy, me, half of the 'Wests' as one of the West's children was very resistant to stir his stumps to walk up the road so poor Dad had to stay at home with him, Lettuce and LG. Due to the fact that all my old neighbours were there I saw very little of the marathon as most of the time was spent 'catching up' with one neighbour after another! However, I did manage to get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6gP4cS4Vo

After a lovely Sunday lunch with Lettuce, M and LG, we wandered up at 4pm to Mick and Cas's house. Just in case they were delayed in London getting back from the marathon Cas had given me her house keys and instructions to put the oven on in readiness for the 'little' post marathon party they had planned. On arriving at her house at 4.01pm, we met Mick's brother, wife and two children on the doorstep! Letting ourselves in, we proceeded to find a myriad of post it notes that Cas had left for me! One on the oven nob (second setting), one on the other oven nob (200), one in the fridge (this food), millions on various plates (this dish for potato salad)etc. It was like a painting by numbers but food assembling by post it notes! (She's SO efficient is Cas).

Well, between us (that's me and Annette) - the men had gone to watch the FA cup semi final as soon as they got in(tch), we rustled up a banquet! Half an hour later the conquering marathon man arrived! Excited and full of humourous stories about his run. Family and friends began to trickle in and the champagne flowed. (Sadly, I had volunteered to be the designated driver for the day so only one glass for me).

We went back to Lettuce's for two 'wonderful' cups of tea and some shortbread she had squirrelled away! I have to say that Lettuce's house is truly amazing. Not having a house of my own at the moment, going back to friends' houses is almost like coming home. All the stuff is so familiar and comfortable. If you stand anywhere in Lettuce's house or garden there is ALWAYS something to look at of interest! Not only is it full of Armadillo's, it's also full of other things the two (and later three) of them have collected over the years. Even the toilet is a treasure trove! Bottles and display boxes of interesting stones and shells Lettuce has collected from every beach she ever set foot upon, really interesting junk shop find books and knick knacks.

Her kitchen is the same, hence the word I used 'squirrelled'. There are nooks and crannies stuffed with interesting bits of food! In our house, we use the 'just in time' principle. Food does not stay in the cupboard more than a week (apart from stuff we rarely use that stays in the cupboard for years and then has to be thrown out!) (Quinoa comes to mind!) Lettuce, digs deep into the recesses of her cupboards and pulls out all manner of interesting things. Yesterday apart from the shortbread she pulled out 'pate de lapin' (veritable French stuff), 'rillette de oie' (also French) for our starters! As you all know, my great friend Lettuce is an extremely interesting, clever, and wonderful person!


**********************************************************************************

I'm in a tennis tournament tomorrow! (hahahhahahhahahahahha, gulp). Off to the club now to practise with Wendy my partner. We'll need more than two hours court time I think!

Also, have my book club tonight. The book we (were supposed to have) read is a novel called 'Amazing Splashes of Colour' and it's about a person with synasthesia (sp?) which would interest Trac.


Update: Tournament cancelled! And I never made it to my book club as I hadn't read the book (due to Amazon not delivering it until after my holiday - so not ALL laziness)

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bloom said...

That is such a lovely piece you've written about Lettuce. Lovely stuff. I'm sure she'll really enjoy it. Her house sounds wonderful too. And her sidebar is back - you go Lettuce! Said with arms pummelling the air!

I went into work today. I'm popping in and out this week. It seemed very strange. I opened the cupboard in my room and was greeted by a most disagreeable honk! A squashed banana that had been there for 3 months, along with a sandwich, which was truly vile....I looked down at the floor at those level descriptors in the office that you were doing...I imagined you sitting there. Someone had left a green bag on the chair and it was almost as if you were about to walk in the door at any moment....sniffff.

It was ok though, I got a bit wobbly towards the end, but I'll survive, I hope...

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Come and see the new tricks for Le Chat. Enjoy.

8:43 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Blimus, you two were quick off the mark! Glad blogger is back!

Betty - so glad your day went well.

10:24 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

hahaha - oh, you are so nice! I'm all pink and coy!

And I will now expect to keep coming across interesting food all over the house!

10:40 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

oh, 5 people looking at you at the moment!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Why is it called shortbread? This is not a joke. I genuinely want to know.

I obviously don't do a good job of explaining my lot. Perhaps I should do the cast list that Wendy suggested? It would just be so tedious to write.

Andre is my sister's eldest. He is 17. He has lived here as long as the others but he was 13 when he came here and he is, well, I'm not sure, introverted I suppose and his English is less than perfect. But he studies science subjects so it doesn't really matter.

Ruby and James are Gerry's (and Gerry is from Newcastle). They have lived here longer than my sister's chlidren although I'm never sure how much longer they willbe here. Presumably when Gerry and Marianne finally get married they will leave and live with them. anyway their French is good, as is Gerry's.

Please tell me you know about the others? I don't have to explain about Ruth at least surely?

As for the guinea pigs, they just squeak. It's probably Greek. They do look a bit like Demis.

11:00 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

5 people!!! Wow you and Lettuce are popular girls there were 5 of us looking at hers (probably the same 5 of us doing the rounds!) :-)

Sounds like a lovely weekend. You're a good friend to get all the cooking done and only one glass of champers for your troubles! Men eh? tch!

I know what you mean about friends houses. I like to think that mine is a second home to my friends. It's all clutter and cosiness, nothing precious. It sounds as if I would like Lettuce's house. How is your househunting going?

My fabric sales are going very well indeed and I am going to have to expand to make a website for this fabric. It needs a dedicated site, something seperate from ebay. There are days when I feel as if I am drowning not waving and others, like today when I feel very much in control!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Very well indeed!

11:40 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

You say its interesting - I say its far too cluttered and full of old crap.

Don't suppose it will ever change tho' with 3 inveterate collectors and hoarders.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home