Monday, November 06, 2006

My baby is twelve today

Today, my oldest daughter turned 12! (going on 15). I asked her weeks ago what she wanted to do for her birthday. She couldn't decide. She couldn't decide and she couldn't decide. So nothing happened. Then she started saying "Noone's saying anything about my birthday" with a glum face. As we are a small extended family - and the extent of my family quite often forget birthdays, so, me in my wish to prevent my children from being 'disappointed' on their birthdays I decided to arrange a 'surprise' party for her. I printed out some invitations (10) and distributed them to her friends, telling them that if they 'blab' then they won't get pudding! Unbelievably, NOONE blabbed and Holly had absolutely NO idea that there was a party planned for her.

When she got back from school we opened her pressies and had a cup of tea. Then at about half four I said, "Oh let's go and have pizza or something" . We all jumped in the car and drove down town. When I pulled into the cinema multiplex/restaurant area/carpark Holly said "Why are we here? Why aren't we at Pizza Express? I want to go to Pizza Express". I played along and said "Oh, we haven't tried any of these restaurants yet, let's just have a look at them".

As we pulled into a parking space, we saw Holly's friend Eleanor going into the restaurant. Holly looked at her and said "There's Eleanor". I said "Let's go and look at that restaurant she's gone in". We went in, at the back all her friends were ducked down and then jumped up shouting "happy birthday". Holly's face was a picture. She told me afterwards that she actually thought all her friends were out without her and she hadn't been invited. It took a minute for her to register that they were there for her!

That's her on the left with her head above the other's.

I'm very proud of her. She's becoming a lovely young woman.

8 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

oh luce, thats so lovely.

Happy Birthday Hols

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Holly -

with lots of love from a forgetful aunt and Phil and Adam too!

Looked like a great party.

1:52 AM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

How lovely. Holly looks like she was really enjoying her party. I love having a teenaged daughter. People are scared of their children reaching the teens but I have to say it has been fun and Jazz can be a real friend at times.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Antipodeesse said...

What a great idea! I would never have thought of holding a surprise party for a child, but I think I'll try that next year for K and/Or P!

12:17 PM  
Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

Oh they are all so lovely and long-haired...they look so grown up.

What a great idea!

3:19 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

oh, what a lovely experience...it will be a memory Holly will always cherish

4:25 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

i had a funny dream that i came to your daughters party last night. i arrived on a gondola and your house backed on to the water. i was the first guest, you were still at work, so it was just your daughter there. i gave her the present that you had told me to get her. it was a dark green wooly top. but she told me she didnt like it and did i have another gift for her! then people started arriving. donna was there. but i had to leave before you got back, so off i went on my little gondola!?

11:38 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh I'm so sorry I didn't wish her happy birthday. But Happy Birthday anyway - just 4 days too late.

What a wonderful wonderful mother you are. That is just the sweetest thing to have done for her. I feel a lovely warm glow after reading that - which is just as well considering how bloody cold it is here this morning.

Hope you enjoyed your outing at the CL Fair. I expect to see the twinset photos soon.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home