Saturday, May 05, 2007


Well, here he is! He's gorgeous don't you think?
I think I'm in love!
Having a dog when you 've never had one before is like bringing your first baby home from the hospital! There is a feeling of mild (extreme) panic. What if I don't feed it properly? When does it need to poo? How do I discipline it? What if it turns into a mad, untrained dog and it's all my fault?
I've been reading things up on the internet. Things like 'how to be the alpha male',and 'how to make your dog do what you want!'. By way of bonding with the mutt I've been walking him four times a day so that he thinks this is a 'fun' household that he wants to stay in, instead of the 'completely stressful, father in law visiting, we're hoping to move in eight weeks, untamed children' kind of household. Father is bad enough without a dog but suddenly is a the font of all canine knowledge saying things like 'I've had a dog you know, I know, you don't'. Unfortunately, his school of thought is the 'let's just shout at the dog and scare him into submission'. So much so that when Ziggy put his nose into the bin, Graham shouted at him and tried to get him to go into the utility room as punishment, the dog cowered in fright under the work top and barked at Graham when he approached him! Alice keeps coming to me and saying 'Grandad's shouting at the dog, stop him!'. Oh dear.
Anyway, I'm happy to say that Ziggy seems happy (notwithstanding the father in law). My energy levels have increased with all this dog walking. I feel better in two days actually. My legs are aching from walking so much! I've met loads of new dog owners in the park and discovered that some of them are the parents of my oldest daughters' friends!
I could go on....about how the owners nearly wanted him back and it was a bit touch and go as to whether I would have to hand him back over, but they've decided they can 't have him, so he is now, officially ours. Hang on, do I need a dog licence? That's just occurred to me? Better go and check that out...

6 Comments:

Blogger Akelamalu said...

He's beautiful! They really are man/woman's best friend you know. I haven't got a dog now, couldn't replace my friend.

You're going to have so much fun!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Congratulations on the new pup! He really is a handsome canine.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, he's a cutester. He's got a really lovely face. When a cat came up to the beanster the other day it did that rub face thing that they do and the beanster said, 'It just snoffed me.' Isn't that just the most lovely way of describing it? So now she just snoffs me when I go to work in the morning. Do dogs do snoffs too?

9:38 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Bow wow wow!!

9:49 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

So cute, and I don't do dogs. I can tell that you are going to be great friends :-)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

too cute!! looks like a rascla though!
;0p

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home