Tuesday, April 25, 2006

STUFF

A man came to mow our lawn today! Blimus! What a job, I think our (rented) garden is about an acre. He had to go between all the little graves with smaller mower. He was looking a bit hot!
************************************************************************************

My father-in-law is coming today. He lives in Spain and he comes over every year at the same time because he HAS to avoid the fiesta in his village! That about sums my father in law up! Now, as Thumper would say (before Betty completely corrupted him in one of her blogposts), 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.' However, I think Thumper has been irretrievably corrupted by what he saw in Betty's blog so I will say some not very nice things about him.

Andy's parents split when he was about 15. Initially he left with his mum but then chose to come back to the 'family' home and return to his school and his friends. But things were not good at home. His father is a very selfish and self centred man, who spent most of his time doing exactly what HE wanted. Not only is he self centred but he was VERY strict and had a VERY bad temper. He was also spoilt and very tight with his money. He is still all of these things. Holly, our eleven year old didn't know that she had a grandad until she was about six! We didn't bother to tell her there was a Grandad in Spain who never sent her a birthday card! (As far as she was concerned her Grandad was Andy's mum's husband)

Andy's dad remarried before Andy left home at 16 to join the RAF. On returning from his basic training Andy discovered that his bedroom had been cleared and was now his Dad's study. All of his stuff had been binned and he now had to stay on a camp bed if he wanted to visit his Dad. Things changed a few years ago because Andy's dad's wife died, rather suddenly of cancer. As soon as she was told she had six months to live, she chose to leave him and she came back to the UK to live with her son and his family. They nursed her through her last days. Andy's Dad was not allowed to visit, she didn't want to see him again! At the funeral there was nearly a punch up because of the accusations that were levelled at him. It's not that he's evil, he's just incredibly selfish. When his wife got ill he could only think about himself and how it would affect him. I think she thought to herself 'I've got six months to live, I'm not going to spend it with a man who clearly can't even put himself second at a time like this!' But a couple of years later he's still reeling from the shock of it all and can't understand why she did it.

I won't go into the other things he's done to hurt us and most of all his son. But, Andy is a kind person so lets his Dad visit us every year. He also lets his Dad drop large hints about wanting to come and live with us. (THAT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN). As a man sows, so shall he reap...... this man is one of the loneliest men on earth. He wanders to the bar in Spain every lunch time for three pints and a meal ('only 5 euros for a two course meal' he has told us, oh, so many times), says 'hola' to his neighbours and sits in front of the TV for the rest of the day. I could go on....... The thing is, now he's 75. He needs us. He has noone. He has no other relatives apart from his dead brother's widow. I feel sorry for him.

But suffice to say I have purchased an enormous bottle of gin to get me through the next couple of weeks. As usual it will be up to me to entertain the man during the day and in the evening Andy will pray for delayed trains, or concentrate on climbing alp duez and mont blanc in the garage!

17 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

I tuned in to see if you had been whisked away by poltergeists.

Everyone has such strange lives really, don't they? Your Andy sounds such a well-balanced, wonderful person. People are always blaming their upbringing or pasts for their problems (I do it sometimes) but people do have the power to make of their lives what they choose, like your Andy, and like Tat and like Betty.

Blogs are so strange, you are never sure what you will find when you go to someone's site.

Anyway, it sounds like you and Andy have got everything just right and to be able to accept his dad into your home (even if you are in a gin-induced stupor the whole time) and be so forgiving is very impressive.

2:16 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Thanks Le Chat. Yes, Andy's Dad is an anti-role model. Andy is determined NOT to do the things his Dad did. Luckily his mum is as loving as the day is long in the Arctic cirlce.

We're not so nice to him. We leave the room constantly so that we can chew our knuckles and bang our heads against the wall. This man is a walking monologue on a continuous loop!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Double Poo Tit Bum two weeks! strengh woman, strengh! I would get through it in a blur moi, get drunk. To be honest I think that's why I am down in the dumps, I'm not drinking enough!
Thanks for your kind words today RW :-) I do miss popping in for a coffee...

4:22 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Strength that be!

4:23 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

A couple of weeks. Bloody hell woman it had better be a big bottle!! He sounds like my dad. Why are there so many dead beat dads around? I agree with Le Chat I won't let my upbringing and the fact that my father was never interested in me and my sister (and isn't interested in his grnadchildren) eat away at me. He is still doing hurtful things even now, he'll never change. Andy is nothing like his father is he? He sounds a lovely man. Thank god for good mothers who manage to soften the blow and pull us through!!!!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm so glad you put up your picture, it's much better to have a face to talk to rather than those bottoms!

I'm a bit slow here. Those graves (the ones you used to put on your blog), they are in your garden? I know it's not YOUR garden but what sort of place are you living in? I've missed out on something here.
Were those bunnies you photographed a while ago, just paying their respects at the graveside?

5:29 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

A tricky one this, RW. You have a good heart and that is why you feel sorry for him now. I know exactly how you feel. However nasty and horrible people can be, I'll always forgive them. But that's what makes you special.

Perhaps you could do the cress experiment on him. You never know, he might even laugh!!

I hope you get through it ok. It has been a funny old cathartic blog day today hasn't it?

I'm going to put a CLOZE exercise on my blog to cheer everyone up.

5:34 PM  
Blogger pam in toronto said...

well, though I know it can't be easy for you, Andy or probably the girls...it is still good that you let him visit you...he probably really looks forward to it, though he might never say it...and you can be glad of your kindness, you'll see it returned to you, maybe not from him, but certainly from others...take care,

6:40 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Oh Lucy poor poor poor you. I think your allotment will be needing lots of attention this time of year, won't it?

Enjoy the gin and I hope you manage to find some time for blogging.

Its so good Andy is so unlike his Dad. Can you go out at least one evening, leave Graham to look after the girls? ha ha.

Will be thinking of you.....
As Betty said, you are a lovely and very tolerant, forgiving person.

I laughed at the thought of someone mowing between all those little graves - and about the bunnies paying their respects!!!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - TWO WEEKS!! Hmm, maybe you can follow Betty's advice and try some of her experements while he's here to make it a bit more fun.

Will you have enough privacy to still blog?

~(:o})=

6:55 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Concerned of Barnstaple, hahaha. Her funny little face gave her away :-)

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe - yes I noticed 'Concerned of Barnstables face aswell! :o)

I've no idea who Pam from Toronto is, but it was a perfect comment!

She's right you know! :o)

10:35 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Thanks all.

Le Chat: I'm glad you are confused. At last I can clarify for you instead of you constantly clarifying for me for a change!

Except this clarification takes, oh all of three seconds. We live in a 'pet cemetery'.

Andy and his Dad are currently looking at Google Earth and bonding! They both LOVE maps. They are currently arguing over which is the higher above sea level, Greenwich Observatory or Ipswich, Christchurch Park!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Pet cemetary? Do people pay to have their pets buried and have little headstones and stuff? How odd. Very English, I think. The English are so much nicer to their pets than to their children or old people.

Sounds like you are surviving OK so far.

11:26 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

oh is that you Tat?

Hope you are surviving, RW, and managing to keep sane, and that you still have gin left.
If it wasn't so heavy, I'd post you some.....

xx

4:26 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Thanks my heart, i took my little leaf to the garden centre and it has the cloche! I have the produit, and you, how are you fairing up?

4:26 PM  
Blogger leon's life said...

My grandmother (my Dads mother) was this type of person very selfish but liked to play the martyr act. She was the most important person in the world as far as she was concerned. As you say not evil but just so self-centered.

She dyed several years ago aged 83 and all I can say is that my father was relieved that she was no longer around to cause him more pain. I know this sounds very harsh, but I share his feeling for her, and it’s as a weight has been taken from his shoulders, as he no longer has to put up with her. My Dad, like you husband, he did this out of duty than real love. I guess that goes to show that they are good and loyal people !

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home